Thursday, January 11, 2007

Books and chat up lines

A couple of weeks ago I was reading a book called "Creating a reading culture" and I came across this quote:

"There was a time when 'Have you read any good books lately?' was a chatup line. Those days are gone."

Wow. I say bring those days back. Along with social dancing, horse riding, sword fighting, wit and manners.
Obviously I am glad of some of the advance our society has made, like drumkits, digital cameras, computers, phones and showers....
but there does seem to be something magical about the whole Pride and Prejudice period.
Especially if you were rich.


so anyway.... you read any good books lately?
;-)

2 Comments:

Blogger Michael said...

I always ask people what they're reading. Think I must belong to some bygone era. Let's not even start on fencing and horse riding.

11:28 PM  
Blogger Neil O'Hara said...

Manners and wit? Still living in the Hairs mate.

At Uni I chanced to bump into a young lady as we walked. Forsooth she remarked upon the clumsiness of my gait and the general ill aspect of my countenance.

I deftly pointed out the brukness of her face and the frizzball nature of her hair-do.

T'was a comedy of manner worthy of Wilde.

2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home