Friday, August 13, 2004

letters...

This morning i spent quite a bit of time writing a letter.

I find letters very interesting, I love writing social letters, when you can just chat, but there is something about letters I find interesting.

When you write some thing in a letter it is tangible.
It exists.
It is.

When you speak, words come out, and then vanish, apart from in memory.
But memorys rememeber things differently, and it can be discussed.

Letters are final.

So when you have to write an official letter - or a letter that goes to more than one person, I find that very hard.

The way i communicate is to communicate to one person - a person who you can see respond, and then you can respond to their response.
Same idea in a letter, you write a letter ot one person, and you know them, and you use language, phrasing that they understand, but when writing to more than one person thats weird.

I wrote a letter about what I am doing this year...
and I sent it to many people, all of whom think differently and respond differently etc.

I wrote a letter in a very truthful way.

I got a letter back from some one who was very offended. They were not pleased at recieving the letter. Because it talked about God, and asked for prayer, and because it asked for money - but only if they wanted to give it. But also becasue they didn't like what i was going to do.

It got me thinking, is it worse to ask some one even though they might get offended and say no, or assume they will say no and not give them the opportunity...

i don't know.

but the whole of the above begs some big questions about teaching and preaching next year.

I will need to practice the skill of communicating to a large group of people all at the same time - and gauging all of the responses at the same time etc.
To plan for a group not just for an individual.

also, when it comes to telling some one about Jesus and the hope there is in Him, do i just tell everyone, even though they may be offended, or assume they won't want to know and not tell them?

but for now I think I shall go to bed

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home