Monday, March 13, 2006

ever learn something that blows your mind

Today I read something that totally changed the way i understand a passage in the bible.

i have read John 21 v 15-17 many times, and I've heard sermans on it, but what I found out today is something i haven't heard before, and its exciting (and scary).

In the bible there is this character called Jesus, and he has 12 disciples.
One of whom is called Peter.

Peter famously said that he would never desert Jesus. Ever. Even if everyone else did.
Jesus then tells him that before the cock crows the next morning, peter would have denied knowing him three times.

And thats exactly what happens.

Peter is gutted. He goes from proclaiming just how much he loves Jesus, to totally and utterly failing him.

John 21v15-17 is when Jesus has come back to life, and meets up with Peter again, and they have a converstation a bit like this...

Jesus: Peter do you love me?
Peter: yes, you know i love you.
Jesus: Peter, do you love me?
Peter: Yes, you know I love you.
Jesus: Peter, DO you love me?
Peter: You know everything, you know i love you.

Now i know i have left some stuff out about feeding sheep etc,
but the parts above are what i want to focus on.

I've read that, and heard sermans, about how Jesus asks him three times, because Peter had rejected Him three times.
which is pretty cool.


but... thats not a great translation.
try this.

Jesus: Peter do you totally love me. totally?
Peter: You know I am fond of you.
Jesus: Peter, Do you totally love me?
Peter: You know I am fond of you.
Jesus: Peter, are you fond of me?
Peter: Jesus, you know everything, you know that I am.

now that to me is completely different.
so how did i get there?

In greek there are several different words that into english are translated "love"
"Eros" - sexual love
"Agape" - total sacraficial love
"Phileo" - friendship/fond of type of love
and there are others.

Jesus asks peter the first two times if he "agape" loves him,
and peter replys that he "phileo" loves him.
then the third time Jesus asks whether peter "phileo" loves him. and Peter can reply yes.

This is the man who said that he would never never leave,
now being so humble, that he can only say he "phileo" loves Jesus.
and Jesus says thats ok,
and still commissions Peter to be the rock of his church.

that is mind blowing.

Peter can't even say that he totally and utterly loves Jesus.
He can't say "I will never leave you, or desert you"
He can't say "no matter what comes, what pain i feel, I'm yours"

All he can say is, "You're my friend. You know my heart, probably than I do, you knew it better than me last time."

I think Peter says "you tell me to feed your sheep, but you knew last time i let you down, and you know whether I'll let you down again, i don't trust my heart all i can say is that I am your friend. "

Wow wow wow.
what a difference to how i used to read it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

yeah i love this.... i did this with my youth group years ago... put it as"

Peter - yeah jesus we're mates...
Jesus - do u love me?
Peter - yeah we're friends Jesus
Jesus - do u love me?
Peter - yes, Jesus, I totally with everything love you.

can i pinch your version for my blogg... it just really spoke to me today. I want to totally love Jesus, not just be fond of him.

3:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home