Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Recording

This week I've been recording drums for Kurios' new album.
Its fun. And hard work.

While I've been playing a thought came to me.

If you've never done recording, then imagine sitting in a room, all alone. Totally cut off from everyone else except by a pair of headphones - which someone else controls.

You wait for the click (a metronome) and then you start playing your part.

Now the songs we've recording we have been playing at gigs. I know i can play them. I've played the in front of audiences. But somethings happens when you realise that every note you play, every drum you hit, every sound you make is being recorded. And judged.

Every bit of sound is written on a screen. with lines which tell you how far you missed where you were meant to play it.

You record, and then wait for the people in the control room to tell you how you've done.

Its scary. its total pressure.

At the end of some takes, I go in to the control room and look at what i've played.
its a horrible sight - the computer shows up every mistake, every millisecond I'm out.

Imagine life is like that.

that every thing you do is recorded.
Everything action you make is shown on a screen with your motives, reasons lined up for you to see, and for everyone else to see.

for me thats a scary thought. a very scary though.

if only there was a way to know that as I walk from the recording to the control room that everything i've done is not judged like that.

that thought made me make a mistake as i was playing.
but it was worth it.

a deep thought

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home